A movie that tugged at my heartstrings...



It's not often that I encounter memorable movies such as the "The Holiday" starring Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jack Black and Jude Law. A quirky romantic comedy, it addresses so many real life issues women (especially the single ones) and men face in relationships. The feelings of desperation, suffering, insecurity...

So many of us are hurting inside and sacrificing for relationships that seem to fail over and over again. It reminisces of the pain we face and how we torture ourselves in trying to make things work, even when we are in the losing end.

Watching it for the second time 2 nights in a row (I'd watch it again a few more times if anyone asks me), it was a movie that had me feeling warm and fuzzy, letting go in tears and yet sometimes in laughter, in sadness yet in joy, as the women rediscover their lives and loves in the quest for happiness. I believe I will cry each time I watch the movie, even if I am seeing it for the 10th time. Delving deeper into the emotions of the characters, the pangs of desperation, the heart-wrenching sadnesss, the touching scenes when love reaches out to the souls, even the part that talks about relationships fading off, relationships that are at the depths of despair and the one, when love is lost (the part when Arthur Abbott gazes at the picture of his late wife).

And yes, gorgeous Jude Law plays a man who can shed tears, professing his love for Cameron Diaz and willing to face any challenges to get their long distance relationship working. Jack Black was also adorable as the nice guy who's a one-woman man.

Warm fuzzy feelings like when Jude, Cameron and Jude's two cute daughters, Olivia and Sophie lie down inside their cosy in-room tent looking at the paper stars soaring above, just tugged at my heartstrings. Awwww....Then there is Kate Winslet saying "I love corny. I am looking for corny in my life.", which reminds me again why the droplets were coming out through the corners of my eyes, and the parts when Cameron and Jude are reunited, Cameron shedding her first teardrops since the last time she cried at 15 years old, aging playwright Arthur Abbott skipping up to the stage after he hears the inspiring musical composition from Jack Black at a recognition ceremony in his honour, and the tender kisses Jack Black plants on Kate Winslet in many scenes of the movie.

I especially like the part when Kate tells the former love of her life which had been putting her heart through shatters during the last 3 years, It is about two women who have been self-destructive in their love lives (hmmm, does it remind me of silly old me?), who need to learn about themselves and how to truly love a man. Each in her own way struggles through her emotions which finally takes a better turn. Iris finally lets go of her unfaithful lover, who has been using her for years, and says, "We both need to fall out of love with you." and the part of her coming out of her desperation has her raising her hands into the air, and her new found confidence as she realises how to "become the leading lady in her own life".

And finally, yes, there is those gorgeous scenery of Surrey, England. A snowkissed landscape that seems to have come out of an oil painting canvas (it has remained etched in my mind...maybe I should try a reproduction of it on water colours).

I laughed, I cried, I experienced warm fuzzy feelings, I ached as I felt the sadness permeating Kate Winslet and her frustration...the flurry of emotions in the touching scenes. In some scenes, I put my palm over my heart and fell the warmness permeating thorugh me, even as the tears fell gently and I tried to oh-so-tactfully try to wipe them off without anyone in the audience discovering I am a crybaby in touching scenes.

All in all, and with the happy ending, "The Holiday" left me hopeful and inspired that perhaps, life may just go the way we desire.

Life. Love. Living.
Where do we go from here?

Comments