About high-flying advertising and PR practitioners

Now I know the reason why I said goodbye to the advertising industry in end 1999. I hated the environment and the people there.

However, after gleefully kissing goodbye to that 7 years ago, it seems I have inadvertently stumbled back into this line, through a series of unfortunate events (reminds me of that movie where Jim Carrey played the devious uncle!).

3 days into this new job with a fancy sounding designation and I am wondering why people are so unfriendly. Day after day, I hear them complaining about other people's ineffiencies, poor writing skills, lousy design etc etc. Sometimes I wonder why people can be so bitchy. Don't they realise that different people have different styles and preferences? There is no right or wrong sometimes, but to how perspectives are being viewed on every project. If something is not quite right, I believe that people can be persuaded or guided back on the right track through simple, positive persuasion.

I also had a very unfriendly reception from this high-flying PR consultant who rudely replied to my friendly hello letter, who has a company of her own and is based somewhere far away from the office. Yeah, she works with us on the same "BIG" project, but as a legal entity, her company is nothing to do with us.

By saying hello to her in the email and then saying that I had done up some proposals and would discuss with my team (3 of us in this office here are working on the project) and then that we would discuss with her team after that...to her...I seemed to have performed an unforgiven error of using the word "team" to which she lamblasted me by sarcastically saying I had said wrongly by saying "my team" and that she was in the same team (I don't want to use her exact words, but they hurt real bad), and cc-ed her reply to me to 3 other parties although my "hello" email was sent only to her in the first place. All I meant was to say I would discuss with the people in my company (my working team in this company) first.

And I thought PR people were really good at choosing words and wrote diplomatically (perhaps only to government people and their clients...and who am I anyway...a paid employee of the company that cooperates with her in this account?). Sigh.

I can only tell myself to laugh it off and that I am fortunate I don't belong to the high-flying category. I may not be famous or successful like so many people here, but at least I have some peace of mind when it comes to these type of things.

Comments