Beginning of Day 1: Ho Chi Minh

27 February 2008
After descending from a near empty Airbus, Ho Chi Minh airport seemed modern and friendly. That is, until I waited for the luggage. From what was indicated on the screen to wait at Aisle 1, and after what seemed like 20 mins or so standing albeit patiently, my eyes glued to my new magazine, then everybody rushed over to Aisle 6 at the other end.

Apparently the luggages were already in, and off the aisle, waiting for their rightful owners. Well, welcome to the real world. And yes, there's husband waiting patiently for me. I miss him.

After a 150,000 dong taxi ride at 1.30 am in the morning (this is Vietnam time now) - usual fare is 70,000 dong before midnight....we arrived at the Phu Tho Hotel, which is apparently almost opposite the venue of where the Amway event was supposed to be held.

This small but clean budget hotel even offers free wifi at every room. At just USD37 per night, this is pretty a steal with a clean bed and bathroom. However, my bone of contention that due to overbooking, and because my husband's group that checked in yesterday was about 7 people, plus the thousands of Asians who had descended into Saigon (the old name for Ho Chi Minh) in conjunction with the opening of the Amway market here, I now couldn't share room with my husband but instead, with this Singaporean lady.

Well...life. I had to wake up at 545 am, slept 3 hours I think...as one toilet and 2 women means I had to wake up early to get my share of the shower first.

Hmmmm....what lies ahead today? From thinking like a budding explorer across the French-inspired city, now it means that I have to follow the "Amway entourage" to the stadium today to meet prospects etc....and well, I do have couple of contacts here that I'd rather enjoy Vietnamese coffee with...instead of trying to sell them the "gift of health and the gift of opportunity".

Not that I have anything against Amway. I believe in the products; well, the health supplements, anyway....though not so much of the other lifestyle products etc; but I don't like to be controlled or brainwashed that there is only one "right opportunity" in life to strike it rich, and this is the best way to go...and so on.

I like being myself...to seek my own dreams and walk my own path. Of course I want and need money, but again, there are other interests, priorities and pursuits of my life that I'd want to traverse, and no necessarily along this route.

Well, being married to a very strong Amway enthusiast doesn't help and with the "clieque" he mixes with, I stand out like a sore thumb with my different thinking and opinions.

Let's see what the day brings...7.00 am now...have to go down for breakfast with them.