Hiatus

It's been like 8 months since I last wrote here and after this long break and so many times of procrastinations, finally here I am, sitting in a cool cafe this evening penning down my thoughts...after 3 work-related meetings on this public holiday...

After my last entry in June 2007, so many things have come and passed. I had gotten married, and moved over to a tiny country of less than 375,000 population not too far away, experienced a culture shock more weaved by the attitude and mindsets of its population and had a 360 degree career change.

Indeed, these are challenges...as always my dearest husband says, "Don't think of them as problems or barriers, but rather as challenges that you can overcome."

Yet, above these all, I have soared in happiness.

Yes, I work almost 7 days a week, and often more than 12 hours daily, and being in a tiny "city", there is time to make between 6 - 12 appointments/meetings a day and that, as a first timer in a sales job. God must be indeed helping me through it, not only have I excelled in this position, but I have settled smoothly into this job. Of course, multi-tasking in a career that not only entails sales - I am also handling PR, promotions, advertising as well as a multitude of "sections" in the local newspaper which includes classifieds, corporate scene and the supplements...I am writer cum photographer as well. The newspaper I work for is new, and its circulation just 15% of the other English newspaper in the country.

That's a tough challenge to sell ad space here, as well as ensure that my clients enjoy some ROI in one form or the other. I try to think of creative ideas to help promote their ads in the paper, i.e. by thinking of roadshows/distribution exercises of the newspaper/supplements so that their ads reach more hands and eyes, and ultimately more readers.

It's fun yet challenging. And time is such a constraint. I thank God that I have my 4 days of the week when I rush home to cook a healthy, hearty meal for my beloved. It's our special bond that creates a world of happiness for both of us. If I have work to do (which I usually do), I'd rush back to office after a shower, and if I can do work from home, while sitting with him in the hall, I'd do that instead of having to go back to office.

Living here has been different, coming from a big city to a small little city where the culture and perceptions are different, and where everybody works at a slower pace.

There's more to tell, but enough for now...back to doing my work....since husband is out of town, I am more of a workaholic than ever.